lashing adj : violently urging on by whipping or flogging; "looked at the lashing riders"
1 beating with a whip or strap or rope as a form of punishment [syn: whipping, tanning, flogging, flagellation]
2 rope that is used for fastening something to something else; "the boats were held together by lashings"
- Rhymes: -æʃɪŋ
Nounlashing (Plural: lashings)
- Something used to tie something or lash it to something.
- The lashings, that were holding the chest to the deck of the storm tossed ship, broke and it went overboard.
- (in the form "lashings of"): plenty of
- Lashings of ginger beer
- Present participle of lash, tying to something.
Lash is usually used in reference to a whip.
Lash or lashing may also refer to:
- An eyelash
- Rapid and prolonged consumption of alcoholic beverages, such as White Lightining (Example: "Let's go on the lash"; "I got incredibly lashed last night")
- Lash (band), an all-female alternative/punk rock band from Perth, Australia
- Lash, a mechanical genius and the head weapons designer in Advance Wars 2 and Advance Wars: Dual Strike
- Lash, Afghanistan, a place in Afghanistan
- Lashing (ropework), a means of attaching two or objects with rope
- A form of torture involving a whip.
- Backlash (engineering) see also engineering tolerance
LASH is an acronym for:
- Lighter Aboard Ship, a system of water transport
- Littoral Airborne Sensor/Hyperspectral, an imaging system developed by the United States Navy
- the recursive acronym for LASH Audio Session Handler, a session management system for audio applications on GNU/Linux computer operating system.
- Los Angeles SWAT Headset, a communication device consisting of a microphone and an earpiece, primarily designed for use by the Los Angeles Police Department Special Weapons And Tactics team.
- Local Asynchronus Sattilite Hookup, a Z-Code game by Paul O'Brian
adhesive, affixation, annexation, attachment, bastinado, basting, battery, beating, belting, binding, bond, buffeting, caning, clasping, clubbing, corporal punishment, cowhiding, cudgeling, drubbing, fastener, fastening, flagellation, flailing, flogging, fustigation, girding, hooking, horsewhipping, knot, lacing, ligation, pistol-whipping, rawhiding, scourging, spanking, splice, sticking, strapping, stripes, swingeing, switching, thrashing, tieing, trouncing, truncheoning, whipping, zipping